|(picture courtesy of http://www.squawkfox.com/)|
As a busy WAHM and with a house full of men, I’m always searching for recipes that are flavorful and hearty. The slow cooker (crockpot) is one of my favorite kitchen aids for creating unique recipes that can be easily modified for taste and/or preference.
A following recipe is a slow cooker variation of a traditional Puerto Rican dish, Pollo Guisado, (chicken and potatoes stew):
1 pound chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
1/2 (.18 ounce) packet sazon seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 large red potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
1. Wash the chicken and pat dry; place into a large bowl. Season with adobo seasoning, sazon seasoning,
and salt. Place the legs into a slow cooker, and cover with the potato slices.
2. Puree the red pepper, green pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, wine, cumin, and oregano in a blender. Pour over the chicken and add the bay leaves.
3. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is easily removed from the bone.
*NOTE* Add the onions and peppers to the crockpot 1 -2 hours before finished cooking so onions/peppers will not be soft or mushy. Frozen or homemade sofrito can be substituted for sazon seasoning. Serve with hot white rice.
This recipe is included in a weekly virtual recipe exchange called #SabrosoSaturday hosted by Latina On a Mission so be sure to check out the other “Yummy” featured recipes.
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- How To Tell Family and Friends About Your Child’s Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Diagnosis - February 8, 2018
- 5 Easy and Healthy Family Fun Activities - February 6, 2018
- One Month of Frugal Meals That Are Not Spaghetti - February 2, 2018