What do you do when you can’t get away from home, but you desperately need a vacation? You go backyard camping!
The joy of spending a night, or several, in your backyard, is that it’s super easy to set up a memorable, comfortable space without ever having to pack the car, break out the credit cards, or book a pet sitter. You can do this in even the tiniest yard, and with every age of family member you have.
You don’t own a tent? No problem! A rope or clothesline, some pegs and a sheet or two (or think sheer curtains for star gazing as another option), and you have a ready-made tent in any size you need! You could make one long tent the length of the entire line if you need the space! Tell the kids it’s a gypsy caravan, or pretend you’re pioneers on the Oregon Trail.
A more permanent option is a used trailer or camper. Often one can be purchased for under $150 at a local scrap yard. It can be towed to your backyard for a year-round option that the kids love! (Check your local by-laws before you do this though…..you may have to put in on blocks, or move it every few months, to meet regulations).
Here are a few ideas to inspire your backyard camping adventure:
- Plan a night of games in the dark. Glow sticks are incredibly useful and available in huge quantities from every dollar store everywhere. Play ring toss, Tic Tac Toe, or set up an obstacle course if the ground is flat enough. You can fill balloons with glow sticks and blow up a whole yard full of magic for about $5 if you have little ones who are afraid of the dark.
- Every good camping trip involves s’mores and roasting marshmallows! The safest way to do this is to build a little fire in a hibachi, a safe distance away from the tent and from wind.
- Set up a movie theater. Use a plain white sheet makes an awesome screen and invite a few friends. (You can also use an outdoor movie screen). Who says that backyard camping has to be a one-family activity? If your yard is big enough, you could start a yearly tradition for your street that everyone will look forward to! Pajamas, movies, and friends……and no high ticket prices! What could be better?
For more backyard camping ideas, check out the following links:
- Why stop the fun after just one night? Beauty Harmony Life shared 30 DIY Ways To Make Your Backyard Awesome This Summer.
- Little Birdie Secrets shared this hilarious spray paint Twister game tutorial. I know what we’re playing tonight!
- Cool Mom Eats has a whack of delicious campfire recipes you can try out over a summer of backyard camping.
Enjoy spending the night under the stars in your own yard!
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- How To Tell Family and Friends About Your Child’s Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Diagnosis - February 8, 2018
- 5 Easy and Healthy Family Fun Activities - February 6, 2018
- One Month of Frugal Meals That Are Not Spaghetti - February 2, 2018