Parents and families are busier than ever, especially during this time of year. The ending of Winter and beginning of Spring brings about many changes from sports to taxes. With all the busyness of the season, it is easy for immune systems to become low which can cause more susceptibility to illnesses, i.e. cold, flu, and virus infections.
When you are starting to feel under the weather, it’s important to stay hydrated, eat a balanced diet, and make sure your medicine cabinet is stocked to tackle a cold. As parents, especially mothers, we are experts in taking care of our loved ones and family members, but we don’t always do a good job in taking care of ourselves. Spending a comforting night indoors with a cup of hot liquid (tea or simply hot water with lemon) while reading a book or watching TV, and getting enough fluids and rest will help your body fight off an incoming cold.
If you feel a cough, cold or even the flu coming on, try an over-the-counter medicine such as Robitussin® Peak Cold Nighttime Multi-Symptom Cold for relief. When you’re on the go, find the right relief for your symptoms with the Robitussin® Relief Finder. The Robitussin Relief Finder is extremely helpful in identifying symptoms and determining appropriate relief for parents and children. It truly does eliminate having to stare at the medicine aisle wondering which medicine to take when you are already not feeling well. To help with savings, click here to get a coupon for $1 off a Robitussin® product.
Naturally with warmer weather, families tend to travel and be outdoors more often. As a wife, mother, and business owner, I have upcoming business and family travel scheduled. Traveling when you are sick, especially with a cold, is a very unpleasant and uncomfortable experience. I always travel with a purse-size container of alcohol-free hand sanitizer to help kill germs on a plane or outdoors. Having relocated to Florida from the Washington D.C. area a year and half ago, the hot climate was something my family had to get used to. The year-round sunshine can cause excessive dehydration and sweating. Having already experienced being and sick with a cold in warm weather, Robitussin® Long-Acting Cough Gels, are great to keep in the home, car, or even gym bag because they’re small, portable, and effective.
According to a U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services’ website, Flu.Gov, the following are ways to help prevent getting a cold or flu:
- Everyone 6 months of age or older should get the flu vaccine as soon as it is available in your area.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people
- Practice good health habits. Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness or cold-like symptoms, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine.
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- Save This Holiday Season with a Kmart Layaway and a $75 Gift Card Giveaway - November 7, 2014
- Protect Your Frequently Used Gadgets and Technology This Holiday Season with Asurion - October 29, 2014
- Say Yes with the Yes2You Kohl’s Rewards Program $250 Gift Card Giveaway Winner - October 17, 2014