Honestly speaking grocery shopping can be challenging. Ever go to the store for just a gallon of milk and walk out with 20 products you didn’t plan on buying or even worse…you didn’t even really need? As a wife, mother to a teen son and identical toddler twin boys, and a small business owner, I try to accomplish a lot in one day like most people do. I learned that it was not always beneficial to take my young children grocery shopping with me. Though the teen is a great source of help, the twins can be a different story. As toddlers, they are naturally curious and want to discuss, touch, or feel EVERYTHING in a grocery story. They love to help and “shop” by pulling items off of grocery shelves that are at their eye level. Needless to say if I’m not careful my shopping cart will be filled with 18 boxes of Goldfish Crackers.
- Take Inventory of Kitchen and Pantry – It is very helpful to take stock of what you already have in your kitchen so you are not purchasing groceries you already have in your home.
- Use Cookbooks or Online Recipe Sites – Not everybody is Julia Child or Rachael Ray or my Mother. I am one that can use suggestions, tips, or advice in the kitchen. I like finding new recipes to get out of the weekly meal rut.
- Buy What is Needed – Its easy to go off course when shopping at the grocery store so I like to make a list beforehand. I usually center it around ingredients that are for meals.
With 4 men in my home, we tend to go through a lot of the ‘staples’…milk, bread, juice, fruit, ground meat, etc. However, if I don’t write down exactly what we need even for our weekly staple run, I will end up buying more than I had wanted to. Creating shopping lists has really helped us financially to stay within our grocery budget and make more healthy choices.
|Sample of a Quick Weekly Grocery Run|
Is part of your New Year’s resolutions to try to eat more healthy? Have any grocery shopping tips?
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- Ways to Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month with Children - September 17, 2015
- 2015 Holiday Gift Guide Submission Opportunities - September 16, 2015
- Tips to Celebrate National Grandparents Day with TracFone - September 10, 2015