During the Fall there is something to be said about recipes that involve apples. Picking apples from the trees or the smell of a freshly baked warm apple pie on a cold day really seems to enhance the cooler weather season. Since my family and I enjoy apples, I was excited to try a new recipe that incorporated one of our favorite fruits. This recipe calls for whole wheat flour, which is a healthier alternative to regular white flour.
Creating tasty and nutritious foods is something I’m trying to accomplish for my family. For example, drinking low-fat or fat-free white or flavored milk helps kids get the 3 daily servings of milk recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and provides three of the four “nutrients of concern” that children do not get enough of – calcium, potassium and vitamin D. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans acknowledges milk and dairy foods’ contribution to bone health and improvement of diet quality.
Crepes are essentially a very thin pancake that is a popular delicacy for many European countries, especially France. It can be made with everything from cheese to fruit fillings is a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish.
The following variation of crepes, Whole Wheat Crepes Filled with Apples, is derived from www.eligeleche.com and would be a welcome new dish for families and overnight guests:
Ingredients for Crepes
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 ½ cup low fat milk
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• Non-stick cooking spray
Ingredients for the Filling
• 2 apples
• 1 tbsp butter
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ¼ cup water
• ½ tsp cinnamon
1. Place the flour, low fat chocolate milk, one banana, butter and eggs in the blender. Mix well.
2. Pour ½ cup of batter for each crepe onto skillet or crepe maker lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Cook 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Place aside.
3. To make the filling, peel the apples and chop them finely. In a saucepan at low heat, cook the apples with the rest of the ingredients until soft.
4. To serve, place a portion of the filling in the middle of the crepe and fold.
5. Recommend to serve with a glass of low fat chocolate milk.
This recipe is included in a weekly virtual recipe exchange called #SabrosoSaturday hosted by Latina On a Mission so be sure to check out the other “Yummy” featured recipes. Happy Cooking!
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- Happy Holidays Giftcard Giveaway #MOMHolidayGift - December 4, 2013
- Smithfield Holiday Spiral Sliced Ham Giveaway #FlavorHailsFromSmithfield - November 24, 2013
- Celebrating (and Thankful) for the Samsung Women of Steel - November 20, 2013