Growing up in New York, the Fall and Winter seasons were cold and breezy. A favorite childhood memory of mine was decorating the outside of our home for the holidays.
My family would hang multi-colored and white lights around the house, put up seasonal figurines in the front yard, and sing along to the holiday carols and aguinaldos (Puerto Rican Christmas songs.) While my father would be preparing lechón asado (Cuban roast pork) for the holiday dinner, my mother would bring a cup of hot chocolate filled with marshmallows as a warm treat. Hot chocolate is a sweet beverage that transcends all ages and generations. Another variation of hot chocolate is the very popular Mexican Atole.
As a Mom (Mami), I’m surrounded by men–husband, preteen son, and identical toddler twin boys. Due to their appetites, food is a constant factor and one of the favorite topics in my home. Trying new recipes or varieties on traditional favorites is a fun way to get the entire family involved in kitchen duty.
It’s helpful to have ingredients in a recipe that involves chocolate to bring men to the table, but what I really like is that this recipe involves milk. I’m appreciative of the nutritional value of chocolate milk and its another creative way to emphasize the value of drinking milk.
4 cups low fat chocolate milk
½ cup water
4 tbsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring low fat chocolate milk to a boil
2. Meanwhile, dissolve the corn starch in water
3. Add the cornstarch to the boiling low fat chocolate milk and continue to cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly
4. Add cinnamon and vanilla and serve immediately
This was truly an easy recipe to make that will be a delightful holiday or winter drink to share with the family.
This recipe is included in a weekly virtual recipe exchange called #SabrosoSaturday hosted by Latina On a Mission so be sure to check out the other “Yummy” featured recipes.
Disclosure: This is a paid post created in collaboration with Latina On a Mission and Milk Processors Education Program (MilkPEP). All opinions expressed herein are solely my own.
Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media
Latest posts by Joscelyn, Owner of Mami of Multiples & Mami Innovative Media (see all)
- Winn-Dixie Free Groceries Sweepstakes, $10 Coupon and $100 Gift Card Giveaway - May 17, 2015
- Essential Target Baby Sale Ending May 16, 2015 #TargetBabySale #TargetPartner - May 11, 2015
- Summer Learning: Avoiding the Summer Slide - April 21, 2015